God’s plan to bring his kingdom to perfection includes tribulation and suffering in this world.
I. BECAUSE MAN IS SINFUL
A. Suffering is Necessary Because of Sin (vv. 1-8; Genesis 3:8-19)
B. Suffering is Necessary Because God is Good
C. Suffering is Necessary as a Warning (Genesis 8:21-9:13; Zechariah 1)
II. BECAUSE SUFFERING GIVES PERSPECTIVE
A. Suffering Shows Us How Fragile Life Is
B. Suffering Shows Us What We Deserve
C. Suffering Shows Us That There Is Something More Ultimate
III. BECAUSE GOD USES SUFFERING FOR OUR GOOD
A. The God Who Uses Suffering
B. The Pattern of the Cross
C. The Visible Reminder (Romans 8:28)
1. Monday—Why does suffering make people question God’s existence, his power, and his goodness? Have you ever questioned whether God is really good when you see all the suffering in the world (or in your own life)?
2. Tuesday—Why did suffering enter into the world? Who’s fault is it? Ours or God’s?
3. Wednesday—Why is suffering necessary in a sinful world?
4. Thursday—What are some things that God teaches us through suffering? Would we learn these things if there was no suffering in this life?
5. Friday—What is the ultimate proof that God uses suffering for good? How does this give you confidence that he can use the suffering in your life for good (Romans 8:31)?