Psalm 29; Ezekiel 2:8-3:3
God calls the church to bear witness to a dying world.
I. BECAUSE AFFLICTION ALONE IS NOT ENOUGH (vv. 1-7; CF. Psalm 29)
A. The Mighty Angel (vv. 1-2)
B. The Seven Thunders that We’ll Never Know (vv. 3-7; Psalm 29; Amos 1:2; 3:4, 8)
II. BECAUSE THE GOSPEL IS SWEET (VV. 8-9; Ezekiel 2:8-3:3)
A. The Word Which is Sweeter than Honey (vv. 8-9; Psalm 19:7-14)
B. Take and Eat (v. 9)
III. BECAUSE THE WORLD IS DYING (vv. 10-11; Ezekiel 3:4-27)
A. Bitter in the Belly (vv. 9-10)
B. Bearing the Image of Christ (John 7:7; 12:27; 15:18-20)
C. Go and Prophesy (v. 11)
D. Taste and See
1. Monday—Why is what we learn about God in nature and through catastrophes not enough to teach us how to be saved?
2. Tuesday—Why is scripture considered sweeter than honey?
3. Wednesday—Why does the angel command that John take and eat the scroll? Is this a literal scroll? What does eating signify?
4. Thursday—What does it mean that the message of salvation (the little scroll) becomes bitter in the belly? Does this mean there is something wrong with the message?
5. Friday—Why does God command us to proclaim a message that he knows will not be popular and may even cause us to face danger and harm?