WHEN THE WORD OF GRACE COMES
God’s grace is bigger than your sin.
I. THE WORD (1:1)
A. The Confronting Word (1:1)
B. The Word is of YHWH (1:1; cf. John 1:1, Exodus 34:6)
C. The Word for Jonah (1:1; cf. Genesis 8:11, Matthew 3:16)
II. THE MESSAGE (1:2)
A. The Urgent Message (1:2)
B. The Message Against Nineveh (1:2)
C. The Message is a Word of Grace (1:2; cf. Nahum 3:1)
III. THE RESPONSE (1:3)
A. Jonah Flees from YHWH’s Face (1:3; cf. Acts 21:39)
B. Jonah Goes Down (1:3)
C. The Word of Grace Pursues (John 1:14)
1. Monday—What’s the danger of becoming too familiar with a biblical story? Why is it so difficult to hear it in a new way?
2. Tuesday—How the Word of YHWH come to Jonah? How does it often come into your life? What’s the significance of the name YHWH?
3. Wednesday—How do you respond to God when you don’t like what he has to tell you? What does Jonah’s name mean? What does Ammittai mean?
4. Thursday—What was Jonah called to do? And how does his name and lineage foretell his calling?
5. Friday—What was Jonah’s response to God’s commission? Where does he flee? Why does the passage emphasize Jonah going down?