WHEN GOD’S KINDNESS APPEARS
God shows you compassion when you humble yourself.
I. CHARGE (3:1-4)
A. The Word of Second Chances (3:1-2; cf. Jonah 1:1-2)
B. A Word of Destruction (3:3-4; cf. Genesis 19:25, Leviticus 19:12, Deuteronomy 23:5)
II. CONTRITION (3:5-9)
A. The People’s Belief (3:5; cf. )
B. The King’s Repentance (3:6-9; cf. Matthew 12:41)
III. COMPASSION (3:10)
A. God Sees their Turning (3:10)
B. God Shows Compassion (3:10; cf. Romans 2:3-4)
C. The King’s Humility (Philippians 2:5-11)
D. A Table of Kindness
1. Monday—Why is it so hard to give people second chances? How do you treat other when you do give them another chance? Discuss what it means that the LORD is a God of second chances.
2. Tuesday—What does the 3 days to walk through Nineveh remind you of? Do you think Jonah is fully committed to God’s plan for Nineveh? Why or why not?
3. Wednesday—Discuss Jonah’s message to the Ninevites. Is it a message of destruction or redemption? Or is it both? Support your conclusion.
4. Thursday—Why is judgment such a bad word in our culture, even in the church? Is judgment the opposite of love? Is okay that we don’t ever talk about God’s judgment on sin?
5. Friday—How did the people react to Jonah’s 5 word sermon? Talk about the significance of fasting and the putting on of sackcloth. What do they stand for? How does the king respond when the word comes to him? Is the Book of Jonah saying that repentance earns God’s grace?