Ecclesiastes 4:1-16; Philippians 2:5-11
As humans made in the image of a relational God, we need community, but it can only truly be found through the saving work of Jesus Christ.
I. The Curse of Loneliness (vv. 1-8)
A. The Loneliness of the Oppressed (vv. 1-3)
B. The Loneliness of Envy (vv. 4-8)
II. The Blessings of Community and Wisdom (vv. 9-16)
A. The Blessing of Community (vv. 9-12)
B. The Blessing of Wisdom (vv. 13-16)
III. The Lonely King (vv. 12-16; Philippians 2:5-11)
A. Homeless and Alone (vv. 13-16; Matthew 8:20; Philippians 2:5-11)
B. A Biblical View of Community (v. 12; Philippians 2:5-11)
C. The Table of the Reconciled (1 Corinthians 10:16-17, 24)
1. Monday—Why do you think loneliness is so painful? What is it about humans that makes us need meaningful relationships with others?
2. Tuesday—What is oppression? Why do you think God hates it so much? Is it something we can conquer? What can we do?
3. Wednesday—What are some of the many faces that envy wears? Where can you see it in your own life? How can Jesus help you?
4. Thursday—What are some different kinds of relationships God gives us? Are all people called to marriage? To having children? What are we all called to?
5. Friday—What could drive Jesus to be brought so low and suffer complete abandonment for your sake? Where is God’s love for you most clearly revealed?