GOD FINISHES WHAT HE STARTS
Take heart—God will finish the good work he has started in you.
I. SERVING IN HUMILITY (1:1-2)
A. Servants of the Messiah (1:1a; cf. Philippians 2:6)
B. Lifting Up Others (1:1b-2; cf. Philippians 2:3)
II. PARTAKING IN GRACE (1:3-8)
A. Partners in the Gospel (1:3-5; cf. 2 Corinthians 8:2-3, Genesis 1:31-2:3, Psalm 138:8, Hebrews 10:24-25)
B. Deep Affection (1:10-11; cf. Philippians 2:1)
III. Growing in Love (1:9-11)
A. Knowledge and Discernment (1:9-11a; cf. Romans 8:28, Ephesians 2:10, Philippians 2:13)
B. Pure and Blameless (1:10b-11; John 19:28-30)
C. A Finished Table
1. Monday—Discuss what kind of lives Paul wants the Philippians to live under the pressure of a pagan society and the struggle to live amongst each other.
2. Tuesday— Have you ever started something, but failed to finish it? What causes you to give up?
3. Wednesday—Discuss the significance of Paul using the term slave to refer to Timothy and himself. Why do you think Paul use dignified titles (holy ones, overseers, and deacons) for the Philippians?
4. Thursday—What was Paul’s relationship with the Philippians like? What made their partnership so good? What evidence do we have that God always finishes what he starts?
5. Friday—Discuss what kind of love Paul prays for them to have? How does our love grow in knowledge and discernment? How do you know that Jesus finishes what he starts?