SURPRISED BY THE GOSPEL
Good news surprisingly comes through our hardship and self-giving.
I. THE GOSPEL IN CHAINS (1:12-14)
A. Good News Advancing (1:12)
B. Boldness of the Brethren (1:13-14; cf. Philippians 3:10)
II. THE GOSPEL IN CONFLICT (1:15-18A)
A. Rivals and Friends (1:15-17)
B. Christ Proclaimed (1:18; cf. 1 Corinthians 2:1-2; James 1:2)
III. The Gospel in Community (1:18b-26)
A. For My Salvation (1:18c-19; cf. Job 13:14-16)
B. To Live is Christ and to Die is Gain (1:20-21; cf. Genesis 2:16-17)
C. Hard Pressed (1:22-26)
D. Surprised by a Meal
1. Monday—Have you ever had unexpected good news? What was so surprising about it? Does the Gospel always come the way we expect?
2. Tuesday—Why would Paul’s statement about his imprisonment be surprising to the Philippians? What did the people begin to see in Paul’s shackles?
3. Wednesday—Discuss how our suffering serves the brethren. What were Paul’s rivals and friends like? How did the Gospel influence his relationship with them?
4. Thursday—Discuss what it means “to live is Christ and to die is gain.” (1:21) How do people tend to abuse this verse?
5. Friday—What options did Paul struggle with? How does life in Christ enable us to serve others? How does the Gospel help us to endure and suffer well?