A LIFE WORTHY OF OTHERS
If we will be united, as the Lord desires, then we must be humble enough to consider others more significant than ourselves.
I. COMMON COMFORT (2:1)
A. Comfort from God (2:1; cf. 2 Thessalonians 2:16; 2 Corinthians 13:14)
B. Compassion and Mercy (2:1; cf. Philippians 1:8; Colossians 3:12)
II. HARMONIOUS HUMILITY (2:2-4)
A. Humble Community (2:2; cf. 1 Corinthians 13:11; Romans 15:4-5)
B. Humble Wisdom (2:3-4; cf. Genesis 3:1-7; Romans 12:3, 10, 16; Philippians 3:17)
C. The Humility of the Savior (Philippians 2:5)
D. A Table for the humbled
1. Monday—Discuss what causes division among people in the church. Is Paul’s list of things in v. 1 hypothetical or do we possess them already? Who gives these things to us and why does that matter?
2. Tuesday—What does Paul command the Philippians to do in v. 5? Discuss the nature of Paul’s joy towards them. How is Paul’s command related to the image of God?
3. Wednesday—What does it mean to be of “one mind” at the end v. 2? When we do not think in this way, what kind of mentality do we have?
4. Thursday—How do we cultivate a humble mindset? What does it look like in practical terms?
5. Friday—Discuss how “but in humility count others more significant than yourselves” reflects the Gospel of Jesus Christ? And how then does the Gospel change our relationship with one another?