Sometimes, in order to move forward, you have to first go backwards.
I. The Frustration of Losing Ground (vv. 1-9)
A. Assumptions about Progress (vv. 1-6)
B. Questions of Frustration (vv. 7-9)
II. The Tyranny of Emotions (and Where we Find Help) (vv. 1-20)
A. The Reality of Emotions (vv. 1-9)
B. The Help of a Community (vv. 10-14)
C. The Clarity of History (vv. 15-20)
III. When You Can’t See God (v. 19)
A. Invisible Footprints (v. 19)
B. Food for the Weary
1. Monday—Have you ever been confident of God’s love at one point and then doubted it? What led to your confidence? What led to your doubt?
2. Tuesday—Why shouldn’t we be afraid to be honest with God about our feelings, our doubts, and our questions? Should we stop at asking questions, or should we also seek answers?
3. Wednesday—Are emotions bad? Why or why not? What are some of the traps that emotions lay for us? Have you experienced this in your own life?
4. Thursday—Are you as likely to question God’s love for you as you are to question God’s love for others? Why or why not? Why does this make the church community so important when times are hard?
5. Friday—How is God’s love for his people demonstrated in history? Where can you look when you are tempted to doubt his love?