2 Peter 3:9
God is not slow in keeping his promises, but patient, in order to give sinners time to repent.
I. The Arrogance of Impatience (vv. 1, 9-10)
A. The Cause of Praise (vv. 1, 9-10)
B. The Cause of Impatience
II. God is Patient… not Slow (vv. 2-5)
A. God’s Common Grace (vv. 2-3)
B. Be Careful What You Pray For (v. 2)
C. The Reason for God’s Patience (vv. 4-5; cf. 2 Peter 3:9; Romans 2:4-5)
III. How We Become Righteous (vv. 6-8)
A. Can the Unrighteous be Righteous? (vv. 2, 8, 10)
B. Drinking the Cup of Wrath for Us (vv. 6-7; John 18:1-11; cf. Matthew 20:22-23; Mark 10:38-39)
C. Delighting in God’s Patience (vv. 1, 9-10)
D. Remembering the Cup of Wrath
1. Monday—Is indifference a virtue? How does God feel about people who claim to be indifferent toward him?
2. Tuesday—Why is praising God easier some times and harder others? What causes us to praise Him and what keeps us from it?
3. Wednesday—What does our impatience with God show about our hearts? What are really saying when we think God is taking too long to answer our prayers?
4. Thursday—According to the Bible, why is God patient? How can understanding this help us to wait patiently and even praise God while we wait?
5. Friday—Why did Jesus call the cross a cup he must drink? Why is the life and death of Jesus the only hope for sinners?