The governments of this world will persecute the church, but do not lose heart.
I. The Beast from the Sea (Earthly Governments) (vv. 1-5, 7)
A. The Four Beasts of Daniel 7
B. The United Beast of Revelation 13 (vv. 1-3)
C. The Abiding Reality (vv. 4-7)
II. Counterfeit Messiahs (vv. 5-8; cf. Revelation 12:17)
A. The False Trinity
B. Blasphemous Claim of Authority (vv. 5-7; cf. Matthew 28:18-20)
C. Blasphemous Offer of Salvation (v. 8)
D. Blasphemous Demand for Loyalty (v. 8)
III. A Call for Endurance and Faith (vv. 9-10)
A. Forewarned is Forearmed (v. 9)
B. Endurance and Faith (v. 10)
C. Pray for Those in Authority (1 Timothy 2:1-4)
D. Orienting Your Life
1. Monday—When you look around, does the world’s treatment of Christianity seem the same as that of other religions or different? Why do you think that is the case?
2. Tuesday—How do the governments of man act like counterfeit messiahs? What do they require in return?
3. Wednesday—Do you find yourself too drawn into the state of politics—to the point that you feel triumph or despair depending on how votes go? Why is it important to recognize this?
4. Thursday—What does “endurance and faith” look like for believers in the face of politically uncertain times and persecution from the government? How does this passage help you to endure with faith?
5. Friday—What can you do to reorient your priorities to focus on eternal things more than politics? What are some practical steps you can take toward doing this? What is stopping you?